COVID-19 Resources for School Leaders
Last updated: May 21, 2020
COVID-19 continues to be a source of caution for families, schools, local and state officials. As the health and well-being of our students, employees and community remains our top priority, we are continuing to monitor recommended courses of action and share resources as they become available. Please see below a compiled list of information and resources that is continuously being updated by our team.
Please find regular updates from the Tennessee Department of Education here: Update on Coronavirus.
- Tennessee Charter School Center has set up a resource folder for portfolio members to share/find resources related to instructional approaches, communication with staff and families, and operational plans.
- Resource list from the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- Charter School Growth Fund has published a blog post on “Approaches to Instruction During School Closure”.
- From the Tennessee Department of Education - Coronavirus: A Guide for Schools
- From the Tennessee Department of Education - Emergency Plans & Procedures Best Practices for Schools
- Leadership Toolkits from School Resource Hub
- Example Grading Guidance from School Resource Hub
Distance Learning Resources
- Great Minds offers a free distance learning resource that might be helpful for schools.
- Zearn also offers a free distance learning resource for our schools.
- Salesforce: Resources for Education Institutions Navigating COVID-19
- How to Choose a Distance Learning Model from School Resource Hub
- Aspirations for Student Culture & Learning During Distance Learning from School Resource Hub
- What Charter Schools Need to Know: Federal COVID-19 Response Legislation and Charter Schools from the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- TDOE guidance for charter schools re: COVID-19, including an update regarding CSP funding that will be repurposed to this end and become available for application 3/23
- Paycheck Protection Program Loans Frequently Asked Questions
- SBA Emergency Loans Now Available to Charter Schools
1. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) now has authority to offer emergency loans to both small businesses and nonprofits under its Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program in eligible areas. While SBA authorities are focused on small businesses, we worked with federal lawmakers to ensure that the loan funding for this crisis is offered to charter schools and other nonprofits to borrow up to $2 million for up to 30 years at 2.75 percent for nonprofits. These loans are designed to help businesses and nonprofits meet financial obligations and operating expenses that would not be of concern if the COVID disaster had not occurred. To apply, go to the SBA website. You’ll need to fill out the business loan application (select "Economic Injury (EIDL)" as the reason you’re seeking assistance) and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan Supporting Information form. You’ll also need to supply required supporting documentation including your organization’s most recent tax return, a schedule of liabilities, and tax information authorization (IRS Form 4506) for any affiliated entities. For questions, please contact the SBA disaster assistance customer service center at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339) or e-mail disastercustomerservice [at] sba [dot] gov.
- Webinar: COVID-19: Six Essential Guidelines for Contingency & Communications Planning
- Webinar: COVID-19: Exposing Myths from Facts
School Closure Toolkits*
*Courtesy of the Tennessee Department of Education
- School Closure Toolkit: Staffing (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Academics and Instruction (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Health and Wellness (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Early Childhood (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Nutrition (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Safety and Operations (Published)
- School Closure Toolkit: Safety and Operations (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: IT and Distance Learning (Published)
- School Closure Toolkit: IT and Distance Learning(PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Finance (PDF)
- School Closure Toolkit: Families (Published)
- School Closure Toolkit: Special Populations (PDF)
For more information check out the following links:
- COVID-19 General Resources
- Online & At Home Learning Resources
- Education of Vulnerable Populations Resources
- Food Resources
- Full List of Resources
TCSC will continue to update this page as additional resources and updates are made available. Please submit additional information to Joshua Perkins at joshua [at] tnchartercenter [dot] org using the subject: Additional Resources for COVID-19 Webpage.
The TCSC Team